The Week of Catching Up

7 Mar

When I was in college, I had this idea of what life would be like after graduation. Maybe living on my own (stay tuned for future post on life with the rents) and of course keeping in touch with all my friends. As it turns out, staying in touch after graduation isn’t always so easy.

Luckily for me, not everyone moved far away, and we can still get together. That is, of course, when we find a time that suits all our schedules. In a rare turn of events, everyone was free this past week, and I was able to schedule two “catch up” dates.

Tetra, minus Ally.

Me, Kim and Mike - Tetra (minus Ally)

Tuesday night, I had dinner with Mike and Kim, two members from Tetra, my senior PR campaigns team. I should probably give a quick background on campaigns. All PR majors at Kent State are required to take the class, and it’s usually the last one to cross of your list. Students are broken up into teams and compete against each other to create a PR campaign (hence the class name) for a real-world client.

Our team was pretty unconventional in every sense of the word. We came up with crazy ideas, laughed a lot and spent the beginning of each meeting talking about what we did that week. Now don’t get me wrong, we worked our butts off, but we also had a lot of fun doing it. And while we didn’t win, I think we may be the only team that started out as classmates and became friends in the process. Even a year later, we still meet up to reminisce about that awesome semester.

Mike and Kim always make me laugh and turn a bad week into a good one. And that’s why Tetra is the best (and the true winner in my book). So thanks to the professors who put us together. You sure knew what you were doing :-)

The week of catching up continued on Thursday. My good friends, Tyler and Marissa, invited me to dinner at their apartment, which may or may not have been because of this tweet:

Regardless of the reason for the invite, it turned out to be another great evening. Although she won’t admit it, Marissa is a fantastic cook. She made a delicious roast with garlic and rosemary, layered with tomatoes and potatoes. It was amazing, and the picture does not do it justice.

Deliciousness.

Fantastic. Delicious. Awesome.

To top it all off, she created a chocolate pudding dessert, which went great with the Riesling I brought (if I do say so myself). We all had a nice time, and I can’t wait for the next dinner.

This coming weekend I’ll be in Chicago visiting my sister, who I haven’t seen since Christmas. I’m looking forward to celebrating St. Patty’s day with her and, of course, catching up.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “The Week of Catching Up”

1. Carrie Drummond 03/07/2011 at 8:06 pm #

Seeing that picture of you, Kim and Mike at graduation kind of freaked me out about the fact that I’ll be posing like that in 60 days. Wow. I’m going to be so excited to find my PR friends (and Campaigns team!) outside of the MACC.

I love this blog, just so you know. =)

• maryjospletzer 03/07/2011 at 10:09 pm #

Graduation day is so exciting. You have no idea where the road will take you, and the possibilities are endless. I’m excited for you!

And I’m so glad you love it! It’s nice to be blogging again and actually enjoying it :-)

2. Lindsay 03/07/2011 at 9:28 pm #

Great post, Mary Jo! I’m also nervous about post-grad life and keeping in touch with friends. We meet so many people in college, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with now! I almost can’t imagine how people did it before Facebook, ha!

• maryjospletzer 03/07/2011 at 10:17 pm #

Thanks, Lindsay! I just realized you spell your name the same way my best friend Lindsay does. I like it :-) And yes, Facebook really comes in handy (especially when friends live in other countries). Though, nothing quite compares to catching up in person.

P.S. Your blog has some great tips. I used to scrapbook in junior high, although I stopped when I realized I really wasn’t that good at it.

3. ifxthencambridge 03/08/2011 at 5:48 am #

Spicey Love,

It make me so happy that you are blogging now. <3

Two points:

(1) I am adding you to my blogroll, if this is ok. :)
    (2) Keeping in touch will reach a NEW DIMENSION OF AWESOME if you make a visit to Cambridge land. <3

Okay, actually three:

(3) Miss you so much, you beautiful creature!

-Lindsay

• maryjospletzer 03/08/2011 at 9:07 am #

Spicey Spice,

Three points:

(1) I am adding you to my blogroll as well. :-)
      (2) I am still working out my trip in June. I have PTO from June 9 to the 19, and Basti graduates June 11. Maybe on my flight home? If I don’t make it, know that I still love you with all my heart <3
      (3) Miss you more than you can imagine. I wish I could see you on your brief trip back to the states! Skype date soon?

4. Gracie 03/08/2011 at 6:34 am #

Has it really been that long since I’ve seen your face?! So glad you are coming to visit!! :)

• maryjospletzer 03/08/2011 at 9:08 am #

I was trying to think of when I last saw you, and I really think it was Christmas :-( I’m so excited for this weekend!!